Great products are never created from thin air. The secret to creating great products is understanding people. Methodically learning about their behaviors, emotions, and pain points is called user research or customer research.
Often confused with market research, user research is an extremely important part of product development worldwide, and is practiced by thousands of software companies, consulting firms, financial organizations, and governments everywhere.
At some point you’ve probably interacted with a researcher by completing a survey, however there’s much more to user research than surveys. The discipline encompasses a wide variety of methods that generate a lot of unstructured data. User researchers create everything from rough notes to video recordings during usability tests, interviews, and contextual inquiries.
Our intuitive and affordable cloud software helps people inside businesses store and make sense of this unstructured user research data, capture and summarize their findings, and share that with relevant people inside the organization. This helps our customers understand their customers, and therefore they build better products as a result.
Every single product or service organization conducts user research of some form, in order to explore what new products they could build, or to understand what they could improve about existing ones. Our mission is that Dovetail becomes the go-to research platform for these organizations. We’re creating scalable, successful cloud software for user research, similar to what InVision, Slack, and Salesforce have done in their respective markets.
Our culture values responsibility and accountability, trust and openness, efficiency and speed. We’re all about sweating the details on delightful experiences, tackling ambitious technical challenges, and learning twice as fast as anywhere else. We’re extremely customer-focused, regularly talking with customers in-person, via email, or over video. Our company Slack workspace is even shared with over 450 end-users.
No founder dictators here. As an early employee, you will help us shape this culture. We’re building for a healthy, happy team where everyone believes in what they’re working on. We only hire excellent people that you’ll trust and learn from. We’re transparent in everything we do; regularly sharing product decisions, financials, and fundraising plans with everyone on the team, and even customers at times.
Dovetail has been growing rapidly since we first launched in late 2017. We now have hundreds of happy customers worldwide like Atlassian, Arm, BCG, Chargebee, CSIRO Data61, Deliveroo, Deloitte, Harvard, Elsevier, Freshworks, Kayak, Royal Bank of Scotland, Spotify, Thoughtworks, Uniqa, and many more.
We’re only hiring people that have the skill and passion to grow Dovetail from hundreds of customers to thousands. You need to be best-in-class with relevant previous experience, and you’ll need to get up to speed quickly with minimal training. Over time, you will help us grow our functional teams by taking on a management role.
As our first marketing hire at Dovetail, you’ll be expected to:
- Both lead and do. This is critical. We’re a small team. You will need to simultaneously build the marketing function and create our marketing strategy while also working on day-to-day marketing tasks and activities.
- Create engaging, original, and extremely high quality marketing content including articles, email newsletters, videos, social media posts, and more. You should have excellent taste – no tacky outsourced product videos here.
- Establish a consistent tone and style for marketing content on our website, in videos, social media posts, and our Slack community. We strive to be the best in everything we do, and this extends beyond the product to all customer touchpoints.
- Develop a unique and quintessentially ‘us’ marketing strategy encompassing multiple techniques, working closely with the co-founders to do so. We’re unconventional. No doubt our marketing will be too.
- Embrace technologies like Git, Markdown, and React in order to add content directly to our website without the help of a developer. It sounds scary, but we’ll be here to help you upskill on the job. We’re an engineering company, after all.
- Reach out and establish partnerships with popular user research and design publications, blogs, newsletters, and adjacent products. This one’s easy. We already have several publications we can work with.
- Learn about (and become an expert in) our customer types, user personas, the user research space, the competition, and our competitive advantages. No doubt you’ll pick this up quickly and our customers can help you out.
- Grow the marketing function as we grow, including setting marketing strategy, managing quarterly budgets, and hiring more marketing team members. We’re going to be growing a lot as we scale to thousands of customers.
To apply for this role, you must have:
- First-hand experience building up the marketing discipline from your time working at a successful cloud software startup or well-known software organization. This is not a role for people who have worked at agencies or non-software companies.
- Recent, hands-on experience writing articles and help documentation, crafting engaging emails, and creating product tour videos, while staying within a tight budget. Ideally, you should be able to kick off new marketing activities in your first week!
- An understanding of all roles involved in product development—from PM to DevOps to Design—and the ability to explain how each one adds value to the business. We value the contribution of every role; technical and non-technical.
- Excellent, concise communication so you can easily convey your thoughts, opinions, and feelings with other teammates, founders, and customers. Honest, thoughtful, and clear communication is critical to our success as a business.
- The ability to offer thoughtful opinions on important non-marketing related business decisions like fundraising, hiring, and establishing management structure. We value the opinions of the entire team.
- The right attitude towards a sense of urgency, risk, and uncertainty about the future that comes with working at an early-stage startup. This is not big blue. This is an opportunity to be involved in an exciting journey from the very start.
- A true passion for the industry, your craft, and a drive to be the best. After all, you’ll help us define the future of marketing at Dovetail as we grow to millions in ARR. You’ve got to love what you do otherwise it’ll probably be pretty hard.
As an added bonus, it would be incredible if you had:
- First-hand experience working in the user research / ResearchOps space and knowledge of the competitive landscape, purchasing process, and so on.
- Proficiency with all major paid advertising, experience in managing paid advertising in the B2B space, and practical knowledge of monitoring performance of PPC campaigns.
- Familiarity with B2B SaaS pricing models and business strategies (e.g. seat-based, usage-based, tiered, ‘land and expand’, and so on).
This is a full time role in Sydney, Australia. You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role. If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please get in touch via our contact form, and attach your CV.