To get started with Dovetail, you’ll need to create a project. Projects contain groups of notes, tags, and insights, along with annotations and charts.
Teams, projects, groups, and notes / tags / insights exist in a hierarchy:
- Teams have many projects.
- Projects have many groups.
- Groups have many notes, tags, or insights.
In Dovetail, projects can represent many things. For example, a project could contain:
- A set of customer interviews.
- A set of user testing sessions.
- A collection of ongoing user feedback.
- A collection of feedback from other apps.
- A large research project covering many methods.
Create a new project
To create a new project:
- Click the logo in the top left to visit all projects.
- Click New project.
- Enter a title for your project near the top left of the screen.
Projects have tabs to switch between notes, tags, insights, and charts. Each tab (except charts) contains groups for you to organize your content.
You can view groups as a list or a board by switching near the top right of the screen, and rearrange groups with drag and drop.
Create a new group
To create a new group in a project:
- Click the Notes, Tags, or Insights tab.
- Click the Plus (+) at the end of the list or board.
In Dovetail, notes represent your ‘raw data’. Depending on the context of your project, a note could represent many things. For example:
- Notes from a customer interview.
- Notes from a user testing session.
- A piece of feedback submitted through the feedback form.
- A tweet from a Zapier integration.
- A research plan or runbook.
Create a new note
Notes can be imported in bulk by uploading a spreadsheet, connecting an integration via Zapier, or collecting feedback on your website through our feedback form.
You can also create new blank notes in groups:
- Open the project you’d like to create a note in.
- Click the Notes tab.
- At the bottom of a group, click + New note.